We are at the end of this season’s ginger and turmeric harvest. The crop has been bountiful this year!
With the temperature dipping to the low 40’s tonight, I thought I would share my recipe for Golden Milk. Think of Golden Milk as an Indian Turmeric Latte. Curcumin, the active component in turmeric, has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries due to its strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Other ingredients are ginger, peppercorns, and cinnamon, also packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents.
Although delicious anytime, a cup full of golden milk in the evening can relax you into a restful sleep. Whether it helps you sleep or not, it’s a creamy, soothing bedtime snack for you to cradle as you relax at the end of the day.
Perfect for an evening drink just before bed, these ingredients that have been shown to promote a good night’s sleep.
- Heat 2 cups light, unsweetened almond milk (or coconut or soymilk)
- Add 1/2 tablespoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
- Add 1 tablespoon peeled, grated fresh turmeric
- Add 3-4 black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat all ingredients in a saucepan
- Stir well
- Bring to a simmer and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Strain and sweeten with honey to taste (if desired).
We have fresh baby turmeric and ginger available at Empire Market and Webb City Farmers Market every Saturday while the harvest lasts. If you’ve never tried baby ginger and turmeric, you’re in for a treat. No need to peel, it’s not tough and fibrous and contains the highest levels of antioxidants.
Pick some up this weekend and ask me about my favorite way to preserve the rhizomes to enjoy fresh all winter.